RALEIGH, N.C. (TCD) -- A 14-year-old boy was taken into custody after he allegedly stabbed two teen classmates, killing one and injuring another.
According to a statement, on Monday, Nov. 27, at 11:01 a.m., a school resource officer at Southeast Raleigh High School contacted Raleigh Police to report a student had been stabbed during a fight with other students. Officers and school security guards provided aid to two teen victims who were soon taken to a local hospital.
Raleigh Police said a 15-year-old died and a 16-year-old remains hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police took arrested a 14-year-old after getting a secure custody order and booked him on a charge of murder on a juvenile petition.
The suspect’s mother told the Raleigh News & Observer that the altercation between the students allegedly stemmed from an incident a few weeks ago when her daughter got into a fight at the school. After that altercation, several teens allegedly showed up at the mother’s house and attacked her and her mother.
The mother said she told her son’s case worker at school some of the other students were "threatening to jump on him, to do this, do that" because the suspect defended his sister.
She said, "I warned the school that morning right before I dropped him off."
Raleigh Police Lt. Jason Borneo told the News & Observer in a statement, "Our investigators will examine every lead in this case to determine the motive. This may include looking closely at the relationship or relationships between the juveniles involved and their families."
The school went into full lockdown following the stabbing. Administrators canceled class on Tuesday, Nov. 28.
WTVD-TV reports Wake County Superintendent Dr. Robert Taylor called the stabbing "unacceptable."
He added, "In the aftermath of today’s tragedy, we will review all of our safety processes and protocols to determine what happened and what changes may need to be made."