Quinton Simon case: Investigators sift through landfill as search for missing toddler continues
11/03/2022 1:48 pm PDT
CHATHAM COUNTY, Ga. (TCD) -- Police and other law enforcement officials are continuing to search a landfill for a missing toddler, Quinton Simon, who disappeared a month ago.
On Wednesday, Nov. 2, Chatham County Police Department said personnel with the department and the FBI are looking through the landfill in what has become the "most far-reaching investigation" in the police department’s history. They have reportedly searched for "thousands of hours" and believe that "everything still points to Quinton being recovered in the landfill."
The Chatham County Police Department said in the Nov. 2 statement, "We have spent two weeks digging through thousands of tons of garbage. We knew going into this landfill search, the odds of recovering Quinton’s remains were low."
Police called the investigation "a task more grueling than anyone could imagine." They started working at the landfill Oct. 18.
Last week, the Chatham County Police Department said officials were "working diligently to put together every piece of evidence to determine the facts in this case."
Quinton, 20 months, was reported missing Oct. 5 by his mother, Leilani Simon. He had reportedly been missing since 6 a.m., but Simon called police at 9 a.m. Chatham County Police said at the time they did not issue an Amber Alert because there were no indications he was abducted.
On Oct. 13, Chatham County Police Chief Jeff Hadley said in a press conference that investigators have evidence that "led us to the conclusion that Quinton is deceased."
The little boy’s mother remains the primary suspect in his death and disappearance, but she has not been arrested or charged yet.
According to WSAV-TV, Quinton’s grandfather was killed Wednesday, Nov. 2, after getting hit by a car, which then fled the scene.
- Landfill search continues - Chatham County Police Department
- The Chatham County Police Department entered a new phase in the Quinton Simon case, 10/18/2022 - Chatham County Police Department
- Missing Child, 10/5/2020 - Chatham County Police Department
- Georgia toddler missing for almost a week, 10/10/2022 - TCD
- Missing Georgia toddler Quinton Simon believed to be dead; mom named 'prime suspect', 10/13/2022 - TCD
- Chatham County Police Chief Hadley provides an update in Quinton Simon case, 10/13/2022 - WSAV
- Quinton Simon’s grandfather struck, killed by car in Burke Co. - WSAV
TRUE CRIME DAILY: THE PODCAST covers high-profile and under-the-radar cases every week. Subscribe to our YouTube page for podcasts, exclusive videos, and more, and don’t forget to follow us on TikTok.
Waiting for your permission to load facebook comments.