MACOMB COUNTY, Mich. (TCD) -- Three juveniles will be charged as adults following an incident earlier this month that left a 14-year-old dead and others injured.
On Wednesday, Sept. 21, the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office announced charges against the three teens for their alleged connection to the death of Trent Redstrom. The first juvenile was charged with one count of felony murder, two counts of assault with intent to murder, and first-degree home invasion. Felony murder and assault with intent to murder both carry life sentences.
The Prosecutor's Office charged the other two juveniles each with one count of felony murder, first-degree home invasion, and assault and battery.
The charges stem from a Sept. 13 incident that occurred at 4:30 p.m., where Fraser Police Department of Public Safety officers responded to an assault in progress involving weapons. Three people had reportedly been stabbed, and they were all transported to a nearby hospital, where Redstrom died from his wounds.
Fraser Department of Public Safety said schools nearby were all put on lockdown "out of an abundance of caution" because the stabbing occurred in a close proximity to them. The lockdown was reportedly "brief and lifted once it was confirmed all parties involved were located."
According to Macomb Daily, the juvenile that allegedly stabbed Redstrom, a 14-year-old male, was not charged. The teen's attorney reportedly said he was acting in self-defense because Redstrom and a group of people entered his house without permission and were holding knives. Redstrom allegedly chased the 14-year-old down the hall, and the 14-year-old was able to grab Redstrom's knife and stab him.
A 17-year-old in the group with Redstrom allegedly attacked a different 14-year-old, who is reportedly dating the 17-year-old's ex-girlfriend.
The three juveniles who were arrested are being held at the Macomb County Juvenile Justice Center without bond.