N.Y. woman pleads guilty to suffocating and stabbing 93-year-old to death
01/31/2022 3:00 pm PST
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (TCD) -- A 23-year-old woman pleaded guilty last week to killing a 93-year-old woman in her apartment by suffocating and stabbing her.
Courtroom video provided by Syracuse.com shows Victoria Afet admitting to the charges against her regarding the death of Concetta "Connie" Tuori, including death by asphyxiation due to suffocation, as well as burglary.
According to WSYR-TV, on March 17, 2021, Syracuse Police Department officers conducted a welfare check at 753 James St., where they located a deceased individual inside the apartment. Syracuse Police Chief Kenton Buckner said they were investigating it as a homicide.
The killing took place at Skyline Apartments, which is reportedly the location of multiple crimes in the city. Buckner cited incidents of assault, burglary, larceny, and overdoses in the complex. Syracuse.com reports Skyline Apartments was deemed an unfit place to live for the third time after inspectors reportedly saw blood, urine, and trash in common areas of the apartment building.
Afet was arrested March 25, according to WSYR. Police reportedly believe Tuori was killed Feb. 26. Syracuse.com reports Afet allegedly shoved items into Tuori’s mouth and down her throat. Surveillance footage reportedly showed Afet entering Tuori’s apartment and leaving hours later. Prosecutors reportedly called the crime "especially cruel and wanton" and charged Afet with murder by torture as well as other charges. Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick told Syracuse.com that the murder by torture chare is "extremely rare."
Afet could likely spend the rest of her life in jail. She will be sentenced in April.
- Victoria Afet pleads guilty to brutal killing of Connie Tuori in Syracuse - Syracuse.com YouTube
- 93-year-old woman found dead in an apartment on James Street in Syracuse identified, 3/17/2021 - WSYR
- Syracuse Police make arrest in homicide of 93-year-old at troubled apartment complex on James St., 3/25/2021 - WSYR
- Woman pleads guilty to brutal killing of Connie Tuori, escapes mandatory life sentence - Syracuse.com
- Accused Skyline killer tortured 93-year-old Connie Tuori in ‘especially cruel and wanton manner,’ prosecutors say, 5/20/2021 - Syracuse.com
Waiting for your permission to load facebook comments.