CANTON, Mich. (WHNT/CNN) -- Cameishi Lindley was shocked when she got a call from Wayne County Juvenile Court on Wednesday. It was about her 10-year-old son. The soon to be fifth-grader is charged with Aggravated Assault, following a schoolyard game gone wrong.
The incident happened April 29th at Ruth Eriksson Elementary in Canton, when the game ended with an injury.
According to a police report, another student was struck in the face with a ball. That student’s mother asked that we not use her or her son’s name, but told 7 Action News he has a medical condition that makes head injuries especially dangerous.
The police report filed after the incident stated Lindley intentionally threw the ball at the boy’s face.
“He sustained facial issue damage to his face. He had a black eye and a bruised nose,” the other parent said.
Medical records showed the then-fourth grader also suffered a concussion.
Cameishi Lindley's son was suspended from school for one day. She feels it should have ended there.
“This is a kid that was playing on the playground with his friends,” she says,
“I tried not to let it get to this point,” the other boy’s mother told 7 Action News.
She said her son had been targeted before, and that she reported it to the school in mid-April, prior to the April 29th incident.
“My son was hit twice in the face with a ball previously due to this. The child apologized to my son and my son said ‘Mom it’s okay we’re still going to be friends.’”
This case will go before a judge in Juvenile Court Aug. 1 for a pre-trial conference.