INVERNESS, Ill. (TCD) -- A 41-year-old father allegedly used carbon monoxide to poison himself and his two children, leaving the man and his son dead and his daughter hospitalized.
According to WGN-TV, on Sunday, Sept. 11, Inverness Police Department officers went to a home on the 2200 block of Palatine Road for a well-being check, and when they arrived, they found Woo Chang and his 10-year-old son deceased. A 6-year-old girl was reportedly rushed to the hospital in critical condition.
WGN reports police said the two died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a generator.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports the children’s mother called police at 4:20 p.m. because Chang had not returned the two kids at the end of his visitation time. She reportedly went to the home and was the first person who found her estranged husband and son deceased and her daughter unconscious.
Chang and his son, Austin Chang, were pronounced dead at the scene. The little girl was transported to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital.
The Chicago Journal reports the girl remains in critical condition. At the home, police reportedly found a gas-powered generator that had been on for so long, it ran out of gas.
According to WGN, Austin was a student at Frank C. Whiteley in the Community Consolidated School District 15. The district said in a statement, "The District is simply heartsick, and in both shock and mourning over the tragic loss of one of our students. Our efforts right now are focused on offering support to staff and students at Frank C. Whiteley where the student attended school."
It continued, "It goes without saying that this is a devastating loss for all of us here in District 15, especially as we look to the remainder of the school year where the child’s absence will be felt by classmates and staff."
The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office reportedly conducted autopsies Monday, Sept. 12.