LINCOLN, Neb. (TCD) -- A 55-year-old man who was taken into custody last week for allegedly stabbing a man to death is now reportedly believed to be connected to another suspected homicide around the same time.
On Wednesday, Sept. 7, Assistant Chief Jason Stille with the Lincoln Police Department spoke at a press conference and shared more information regarding the deaths of 49-year-old Ronnie Patz and 61-year-old Ronald George. According to Stille, Patz and the suspect, William Wright, checked into a motel Monday, Aug. 29. Police believe Patz was killed the same day between 2:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
Stille said it took investigators a few days to positively identify Patz because "the body was not conducive to do so" when they first found him dead outside the motel.
On Aug. 30, Wright was reportedly seen discarding some items into a dumpster. The dumpster was picked up by a refuse company and taken to a landfill. Police, however, contacted the landfill and officials cordoned off an area to search for evidence among the trash.
Investigators believe Wright allegedly met up with George the night of Aug. 30. The next morning, George was found dead in a field.
Lincoln Police said at the time George's injuries "appear to have been caused by a bladed weapon."
Wright was arrested Sept. 1 for second-degree murder and use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony.
In a statement, Lincoln Police said they suspect Wright and Patz's deaths are related, and they are sifting through the landfill because they believe "crucial" evidence is there.
Wright was booked into the Lancaster County Department of Corrections and is being held on $5 million bond, but Stille said additional charges could be forthcoming.