Alabama woman gets life sentence for helping to kill husband's new wife and family
10/28/2021 1:20 pm PDT
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (TCD) -- A 48-year-old woman was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole Wednesday after admitting she helped her husband kill his new wife and her family.
According to WAFF-TV, Rhonda Carlson testified against her husband Christopher Henderson during his trial. This plea agreement reportedly spared her the death penalty.
WHNT-TV reports Henderson was convicted of 15 counts against him in July, including intentional murder of a victim under the age of 14 and intentional murder during arson. He was sentenced to death in Madison County Circuit Court on Oct. 14, according to WHNT.
Christopher Henderson reportedly murdered his wife Kristin Swallwood Henderson in July 2015 at their home in New Market. According to The Associated Press, Christopher Henderson shot and stabbed Kristin, who was nine months pregnant with his child, as well as her 8-year-old son Clayton Chambers, her mom Jean Smallwood, and her 1-year-old nephew Eli Sokolowski.
The Associated Press reports the fetus was cut from Kristin's womb and stabbed. Christopher then lit the house on fire. The killings reportedly happened a week after Kristin filed an order with the court to keep Christopher Henderson away from the home, according to The Associated Press.
WHNT reports Carlson and Christopher Henderson had not divorced by the time he married Kristin.
During his sentencing hearing, Christopher Henderson gave his "deepest apologies to the family."
Carlson reportedly said in court she did not kill any of the family but helped Henderson plan the attack. WAFF reports surveillance video and phone history placed Carlson and Christopher Henderson at the scene of the crime.
- Plea accepted, Rhonda Carlson sentenced to life without parole for brutal New Market murders - WAFF
- Man convicted of killing 5 in New Market receives death penalty, 10/14/2021 - WAFF
- Man charged with 2015 murders of five people in New Market sentenced to death - WHNT
- Christopher Henderson found guilty of murdering 5 people, 7/1/2021 - WHNT
- Woman gets life sentence for helping husband plan killings - The Associated Press
- Man found guilty of killing pregnant wife and her family, 7/1/2021 - The Associated Press
Waiting for your permission to load facebook comments.