An Arizona mother was arrested after her 9-month-old baby overdosed from swallowing at least one pill containing the opioid fentanyl.
KNXV-TV reports Phoenix Police and firefighters responded to a call Monday night, April 26, about a baby who wasn't breathing. The incident was reported by the boy's grandmother, who found the boy in his crib.
According to KPHO-TV, the person who called 911 said the baby was put in his crib then "started to change colors and spit something out of his mouth."
KNXV reports the baby was going in and out of consciousness and had white mucus coming out of his mouth.
Responding officers found multiple blue pills marked "M-30" inside the crib, KPHO reports, believed to be fentanyl. The child was then rushed to the hospital.
First-responders said they found a blue oval pill inside the baby's mouth. Paramedics administered Narcan, the drug used to reverse opioid overdoses, to the child KPHO reports.
When the child arrived at the hospital, doctors found more blue pills inside the boy's mouth, KNXV reports. Doctors reportedly also found a skull fracture.
Caldera reportedly told police no one in her household uses fentanyl, though she reportedly admitted to giving her friend a ride the day before, who left a bag of pills in her car.
According to KNXV, Caldera told police she brought the bag into her son's room and left it on the diaper changing table. She allegedly did not know how the bag traveled to the crib and got within reach of the victim or his twin brother.