RIVERSIDE COUNTY, Calif. (KTLA) -- A 13-year-old boy seriously injured in an attack involving two other students at a Southern California middle school is "clinically dead" after life-saving treatments failed, authorities said Wednesday.
The family of the teen identified only as "Diego" plans to donate his organs, according to a Riverside County Sheriff's Department press release.
"Preparations by Diego’s family are underway for organ donation to transform this tragedy into the gift of life for other children," the statement read.
The student was assaulted Sept. 16 at Landmark Middle School in the city of Moreno Valley, the department said.
Two other juveniles who are also students at the school could face prosecution in the assault. Both were booked into juvenile hall last week. Officials have not said if the charges against the two have been increased because of the boy's death.
No further information will immediately be released due to the ages of all involved, the department said.