California man convicted of killing suspected child molester exonerated after 28 years in prison
Northern California Innocence Project
Bob Fenenbock's conviction has been reversed as of August 23, 2019.

via KTLA:

SOLANO COUNTY, Calif. (KTLA/AP) -- A California man convicted in the stabbing death of a man suspected of sexually molesting a child has been exonerated after 28 years in prison thanks to newly discovered evidence, including the confession of the true killer, a lawyer said.

The conviction of Bob Fenenbock was reversed Friday by a judge in Solano County Superior Court in the case handled by the Santa Clara-based Northern California Innocence Project.

Fenenbock, who owned a mining claim and operated a wood-cutting business, was the first of several people to be tried in the 1991 killing of Gary Summar, who was beaten and stabbed to death at a campground in Trinity County.

Fenenbock was convicted on the testimony of a 9-year-old boy who defense lawyers said had been coached by a therapist and convinced by detectives that Fenenbock was part of a mob that conspired to kill Summar.

Shortly after the conviction, Bernard MacCarlie acknowledged killing Summar alone to avenge the molestation of his girlfriend’s daughter, lawyers for the Innocence Project said.

MacCarlie explained that he had been molested as a child and snapped when he heard that Summar had molested the young child living with them, the lawyers said.

MacCarlie was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

Fenenbock, however, remained in prison because MacCarlie’s confession was considered “post-conviction evidence,” which, at the time, had to point “unerringly” to innocence to be considered.

Prosecutors have 60 days to decide to retry Fenenbock or appeal the court’s decision.

MORE: NorCal Man Convicted of Killing Suspected Child Molester Is Exonerated After 28 Years in Prison - KTLA

Comments