UPDATE December 17, 2015:

A federal lawsuit filed against Pine Bluff Police Chief Jeff Hubanks, Officer Brad Vilches and the city stemming from the shooting death of 107-year-old Monroe Isadore in 2013 has been dismissed, the Pine Bluff Commercial reports.

On Dec. 14, 2015, Federal Judge Kristine Baker granted the city’s request for summary judgment, ruling that neither Hubanks nor Vilchers violated Isadore’s rights under the Fourth Amendment.

October 29, 2015:

Monroe Isadore, 107, was the oldest living resident in Pine Bluff, Arkansas.

Isadore was a well-respected former lawn man who lived peacefully and independently at a house on Pine Bluff's west side. He rented a small room at a house, paying only $100 a month.

Then someone came up with the idea of moving the old man to a new home with round-the-clock care. And on moving day, all hell broke loose.

The god-fearing grandpa got grumpy, grabbed his gun and refused to go. He locked himself in his room.

At first, Pine Bluff patrol officers responded and tried to negotiate the elderly man out. Isadore fired a few rounds, and the SWAT team was called in.

The SWAT team surreptitiously slid a pole-camera into Isadore's bedroom. It showed Isadore lying on his bed holding a gun, a .357 Magnum he bought less than a month prior.

At first, police tried talking him out, but they didn't realize Isadore probably didn't hear them.

Cops use tear gas to smoke him out, and time was on their side. For an hour, they recorded Isadore looking like he was preparing to take an afternoon nap.

Based on police reports, here's how the entire ordeal went down:

  • 4:59 p.m. The SWAT team arrives, cops have the house surrounded, and a negotiator is pleading with Isadore to give up his gun and come outside. Someone reminds police the 107-year-old man is hard of hearing and legally blind.

  • 6 p.m. An hour into the standoff. Police have evacuated the neighbors and moved them down the street and out of harm's way while the SWAT captain devises a plan hoping for a peaceful ending. On camera they see Monroe Isadore still reclining in his bed. So far, he's still not responding to their pleas to surrender.

  • 6:07 p.m. The plan goes into action. Suddenly two cans of tear gas are thrown into the room -- more than enough to force anyone out. The noise is so loud, it startles the old man and he responds with more gunfire.

  • 6:08 p.m. Just seconds after the tear gas, police toss in another diversion device, an explosive flash-bang, and then they bust through the door. The noise shocks Isadore too. He raises up in the bed and fires his gun again.

When the old man shoots this time, the cops are right in the room and they fire back eight times.

Sadly, Pine Bluff's oldest senior citizen, 107-year-old Monroe Isadore, is killed. He never got out of his bed.

According to the police reports and depositions, the standoff lasted 70 minutes from the time the SWAT team arrived.

Police say they had no choice but to shoot Isadore because he shot at them first.

When special prosecutors reviewed the case, they ruled Isadore's death a justifiable homicide, and no charges were filed.

Three years later, Monroe Isadore's family is still grieving. They're also suing the city of Pine Bluff over his violent death. It is still on ongoing. The family is seeking pain, suffering and mental anguish damages as well as seeking payment for funeral expenses.